"You will have significant experiences. I hope that you will write them down and keep a record of them, that you will read them from time to time and refresh your memory of those meaningful and significant things. Some may be funny. Some may be significant only to you. Some of them may be sacred and quietly beautiful. Some may build one upon another until they represent a lifetime of special experiences. " Gordon B. Hinckley, BYU, 2006

Friday, September 3, 2010

Maxwell Joseph Yeates

This is probably one of the hardest posts I have ever written. And I've debated back and forth several times whether or not I should include it on our blog. But the little spirit that touched our family's life over the past few months is so wonderful and amazing that I couldn't help but share. This is the reason why I haven't blogged for over 2 months...
Maxwell Joseph Yeates was born on July 27th with a diaphramic hernia. From the moment he arrived his life here on earth was a struggle and a challenge. Each day was spent in the NICU at Primary Children's Hospital fighting to keep his lungs and heart going until he was able to have surgery to correct the hernia. I have never prayed for something so hard in my life-that this little baby boy would be able to go home with my sister and her family. We had all hoped and prayed for a miracle, especially after waiting so long for him to arrive. But the miracle that we prayed for was not the same miracle that the Lord had in mind...


On August 14th Max passed away and returned home to his Heavenly Father. And on the 19th we gathered together as a family and celebrated his life...


I believe that losing a loved one is the most severest trials we will ever have to face in this life. And so often we question "why?" Perhaps it is to fill us with a yearning to know; to search for an explanation. (Such a search leads us out of this world and into a higher one.)
The past few months and weeks have been very humbling and once again I have been filled with a desire to understand "Why?" In this searching, my testimony has been strengthened and I have learned so much...
#1 President John Taylor once explained that "the reason why so many children were called away, notwithstanding the great faith and power of the priesthood exercised to keep them here, was that they were bright and noble spirits who held important positions in the kingdom of God in the spirit world, from which they could not long be spared." Knowing this gives me great comfort. That the Lord needed him there more than we needed him here.
#2 I must be ever so kind and tender with the ones I love.
There were many times when I went to visit Max in the hospital and was not able to touch him because the doctors were too busy trying to keep him alive. And during those moments when I was able to place my hand on his arm or foot I was ever so careful. Ever so tender. And so it is with my loved ones. I now have a desire to be more kind and warm hearted with my children and family.
#3 "Thy Will be Done"- Max's journey here to earth had been such a miracle that I had only thought there would be a miracle ending and that he would be able to go home with his family. But that was not the Lord's plan. The Lord had a different miracle in mind. Losing Max made me realize my helplessness, and that there is only One who holds the power of life and death. It is our duty to pray for the sick to be healed, to exercise our faith, but we must do so with this feeling in our hearts, "Thy Will and Not Mine Be Done."
I have thought so much about how this little one has touched my life and the lives of my family members. And I am blessed. Blessed to be his Aunt. Blessed to have spent such beautiful moments with him. And blessed with the knowledge that "Families Are Forever" and we will see each other again soon...

2 comments:

Reader said...

I'm glad you shared . I also learned a lot just from this post. Thanks. Love you guys.

Gramy said...

Baby Max touched all of our hearts and lives. He came to a beautiful famliy we dearly love. Life is eternal, families are forever, I'm so grateful we are family so grateful we are friends. This post was abundant with the love overflowing deep inside where tears are born. Thanks Shilea, and Baby Max, for taking us to that special place.